Sunday, January 27, 2013

T-minus15 days till race day, and counting! Shout-out to race organizers

On Saturday I made my usual stop by the Spring Garden Road Running room to stock up on gels for Sunday's run. I ran into Bruce Bowen, the store manager. Usually Bruce is a pretty chipper dude, and in fact in the five years or so that I've known him, I've never seen him stressed or upset.

Yesterday was a little different. Bruce admitted that the venue he'd used in the past for the post-race brunch had fallen through, and he now had two weeks to sort it out.

"It'll get done," he said a little glumly.

I have absolutely no doubt that Bruce will indeed get 'er done, and that he'll have the support of the entire running community behind him, if that's what it takes

But it brought home to me how rarely I take the time to think about the people who organize races and running events, and all of the time and effort they put in to ensure that we can enjoy safe, organized races.

So thank you, race organizers! Whether it's a small local run or a large event, the truth is, we couldn't race without you!

- HRG


No comments:

Post a Comment